Skip to main content
Email Subscription

To sign up for email updates from Macomb County or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your email address. If you would like to subscribe for text alerts please select Text Updates in the drop-down menu.

Human Resources and Labor Relations

change my benefits!



The IRS allows employers to make changes to an employee's benefit plan only during open enrollment OR if the employee experiences what the IRS calls a "qualifying event."  Open enrollment for Macomb County employees is in the fall, and takes effect January 1st of the following year. Qualifying Events as defined by the IRS include:

  • Adoption or assuming guardianship of a qualified dependent
  • Birth
  • Death
  • Divorce
  • Leaving County employment**
  • Loss of coverage from another source
  • Marriage

Active employees who experience qualifying events only have 30 days to make these changes, so don’t delay. If the qualifying event happened more than 30 days prior, you will have to wait until the annual open enrollment period to make changes.

**Individuals whose employment with the County is ending prior to retirement have 60 days to elect coverage through COBRA.

Please note, submission of documentation does not constitute an official change until it is approved by Human Resources and Labor Relations

With the exception of individuals leaving County employment, these changes can be made through the Employee Navigator portal. Before you visit the Employee Navigator portal, please select the event that applies to you from the options below. You will see a list of the documents required in order to complete your changes, as well as some other things to consider. If you need information about how to elect benefits when you leave County employment prior to retirement, please select “I am leaving County employment” from the menu below.

Please select the life event that applies to you from the list below:

I adopted a child or assumed guardianship of a qualified dependent

  • Document(s) you will need to upload to Employee Navigator:
    • Court order indicating requirements to maintain healthcare coverage (medical, dental and vision)
  • Other things to consider:

I had a baby

  • Document(s) you will need to upload to Employee Navigator:
    • Birth Certificate or Hospital Birth Verification

(Hospital Birth Verification must list the name of the child and the child’s parents)

    • IMPORTANT NOTICE: Certified birth certificates can take several weeks to arrive, and you only have 30 days from the date of your baby’s birth to add your baby to your plan. Do NOT wait for the certified birth certificate before you contact us. Your baby can be added to your healthcare plan if you provide us with the Hospital Birth Verification document. Once you have your child’s social security card, you must submit that as well.
  • Other things to consider:

A person covered in my plan(s) has passed away

I experienced a divorce

I lost coverage from another source

  • Document(s) you will need to upload to Employee Navigator:
    • Documentation of the loss of coverage
    • If you need to add a spouse or dependents to your coverage, you will need the following:
      • Marriage license
      • First page of your most recent 1040 Tax Return
      • Birth Certificates for your child/stepchild
      • If you have guardianship over a qualified dependent, a court order indicating requirements to maintain healthcare coverage (medical, dental and vision)

I am leaving County employment

  • If your employment with the County is ending, you should know the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue group health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time, and under certain circumstances. These include voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in the hours worked, transition between jobs, death, divorce, and other life events. Qualified individuals are required to pay 100% of the premiums, plus 2% for administrative costs. For more information about your rights under COBRA, please visit the U.S. Department of Labor - COBRA Please note:
    • Enrolling in COBRA cannot be done in Employee Navigator.
    • If your employment with the County has ended, you will receive a notice regarding benefits that are available to you, as well as the premiums associated with those benefits, within 30 days. If you do not receive your notice within 30 business days, please contact us at 586-469-5650.
    • Instructions on how to enroll in COBRA will be included in the notice.
    • You have 60 days to opt into a COBRA plan.


I got married


I have gathered my documents and am ready to make my changes!



If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact us by phone at 586-469-5650 or email us at